Tuesday 8 August 2017

Sew Weekly - It's back!

I've finished my aviation dress (see previous post) but before I can blog about it, I need to spread the news about Sew Weekly.  I would never have considered starting a blog without it - it's where it all began.

In 2011, there was an online weekly challenge to sew around a theme - all started by Mena Trott, who had managed the challenge herself in the previous year.  Alongside her were Debi Fry, Sarah Gabbart, Veronica Darling and Adey Lim who were all sewing along with her around the world on a weekly basis.  You can still see the blog up at http://www.sewweekly.com/  where Loran Watkins is featured on the front page - I found out from her about the re-launch.  Sew Weekly was also open to anyone else to join in and I gave it a go.  I'm glad I did as I made loads of web based friends all over the world and we became a little family of sewists!

In 2012 I sewed along monthly, as I needed to slow the pace a bit ...  but I was so disappointed when it didn't continue into 2013.  Loads of others were missing the fun too - that's exactly what it had become - fun!  Seeing who could come up with something every week was - as my friends over the pond put it, 'Such a blast!'

Anyway, what should pop up this week over on Instagram but ...  Sew Weekly!  You can find it at @sewweekly @sewweeklyyoucandoit @makethislook @shopmakethislook  Mena is at the helm once again and has even filled in the gap about where it disappeared to ... Lots of the original members have re-found each other there.  As well as a weekly (and a monthly) challenge there are prizes and also a shop of antique fabric, patterns and notions.

Looking forward to dipping my toe in here and there this time round.  Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Instagram

My posts have been fewer and fewer of late and so I've decided that to kick off the New Year and keep things simpler, I'll just be u...